System Marketing – What Goose is It?
Author: Victoria Yesualenko, Marketing Director, Asters Law Firm, certified business trainer, member of the Union of the Journalists of Ukraine, blogger of Forbes Women Ukraine and Novoe Vremja
The phrase “system marketing” is not so common in my field of view, for some reason more often “strategic” is used. However, what a strategy can we talk about if there is no system? And, unfortunately, with the system marketing in Ukrainian businesses there are a lot of questions.
Let’s start with the fact that now it’s not enough just to be beautiful, meaning that to make quality goods and provide qualified services, it is a core necessity to
- a) be better than the competitors – “Differentiate or die” Jack Trout
- b) make those who you would like to have as a client know about this difference.
But for this we need system marketing, and it is not what our entrepreneurs usually do – just duplicate competitors and we get a monotonous poor flow of “innovative”, “dynamically developing”, “high-quality and not expensive”, “with an individual approach to each client “.
Therefore, let’s start with the main goal of business in business for business development, sorry for the tautology, – to achieve that every employee becomes a marketer of the company, its brand ambassador. The main goal of the marketer (that is, see above, – every employee of the company) – to create convenient, understandable and enjoyable communications for prospective and existing clients. Communications that would attract attention interest and encourage to purchase your product or service. In other words, it’s so simple, – to be a system marketer.
What should a system marketer stand on while building and strengthening the brand of business and its communications:
- Quality research. Unfortunately, it is not just never carried out in Ukrainian businesses, few know what it is, why it is needed and what it is for. Often a business just, sorry, “goes by the nose” or “on the eye”.
- Analysis of research results and system planning based on these results. Business plans and budgets should be based on these results, and not on the basis of “I see so”, “I want so”.
- One needs to very clearly identify, analyze, segment, and think appropriate marketing approaches to their target audience.
- Competitive advantage strategies too will not fall into your hands from heaven – they must be defined and implemented, however, not forgetting that in the post-industrial era, the main competitive strategy is a focus on the client, that is nothing else but professionally constructed and well-established communication with the client as the main tool of this strategy.
- My former boss every time raised the subject of our marketing budget liked to wake me up: “Vika, with the budget everyone can, could you do it without any money.” There is no marketing without budget and it cannot be, regardless of the super popular workshop and book by Igor Man with that very name. Marketing budget is an integral part of the system and as nothing else requires a complete understanding of where, how and how much.
The key difference between the system approach is that it is not limited to any one solution or tool. A system marketer creates a communications system that can use several instruments, always remembering about “why” and “what’s next”? It is thanks to the systematic approach to the marketing strategy of the business, despite the considerable cost of money, time and power, the company gets a competitive advantage, which otherwise cannot be obtained. System marketing can be compared to a good supermarket, where there are goods for anyone and the baskets are filled exactly with what you need.
The value of system marketing is that it can not be copied because its content is too tied to the unique features of the business. In order to build your own system marketing you will need at least two years, and those who ae the first to do it will have long-term competitive advantages. It is the basics of system marketing, and we will have a training on it on January 24.