Advantages of team coaching before strategic session
“I tried the strategy session, it didn’t work for me. I see no reason to use team coaching in the company, ”- this is how 40% of managers think, not understanding the difference between the two services.
Why shouldn’t a strategy session be compared to team coaching, and what is so special about it?
Imagine that you have a project for a house that has long been planned for your family – such a plan for a five-year plan. You have a global understanding, in general terms it is clear what needs to be done. Only there is no good team and the necessary materials. No, so to speak, the driving force for your global idea, which is important for its implementation.
Strategic session: globally and ahead
The main difference between the strategic session is globality: on it, the client determines a long-term plan for a goal for a long period. The challenge for the strategic session is to find a big challenge, a beacon in the middle of the ocean that will signal which direction to go. This is the very plan of your house.
The strategic session is not aimed at improving skills or building a strong team, establishing a working atmosphere within the company.
During the session, strategic tasks are solved, long-term alternatives for development are identified.
The participation in the strategic session is mainly of key executives, TOP managers.
What goals are usually laid down for a strategic session:
- Clarification of the strategy of the company, the main project
- Search for ways to solve problem, deadlock situations
- It is also possible to expand knowledge in a certain area for certain purposes.
“Develop a general strategy for launching a new project” “Provide a common understanding of the goal of the team”
“Form a plan for the development of the company for the next 5 years”
So, the strategic session helps to determine: where and how to move, in choosing a direction!
Team Coaching: Essential Parts to Get the Wheel Spinning
Having a strategy and an action plan is a great start, but to get things going and getting results, you need to get things done within the team. It often happens that employees cannot ensure effective work, despite the fact that they are highly qualified specialists. And the point here is no longer in experience or knowledge, but in the fragmentation of actions, the wrong distribution of roles in the team, the absence of common values, etc.
You need not just a group of people, but a single strong team.
Team coaching is carried out among the team members of a specific project, department employees, with specialists who are united by one task.
For what purposes is team coaching used?
- To understand the team’s common goals and objectives;
- If you need a specific mission, what will unite team members and motivate them;
- To eliminate conflicts in the team, which affects productivity at work;
- If there is no cohesion in the team, trusting relationships. Everyone is for yourself;
- It is necessary to find a problem and its solution: what exactly interferes with productive work;
- What to do if everyone pulls the blanket over himself, does not want to be responsible;
- It is necessary to involve all employees in the process so that they are are motivated for the overall result;
- It is necessary to reveal the potential of everyone, to find new solutions;
- It is necessary to organize the work process in such a way that everyone independently and consistently performs tasks with minimal management intervention in the process.
As you can see, the field of requests for team coaching is much wider, and they all revolve around establishing communication within the team. Every progressive leader understands that success lies in team cohesion, so it is necessary to build work processes and communications inside. You can achieve results with coaching most quickly.
The team coach in fact accompanies the team in the process of achieving certain goals and implementing tasks. To make this process as efficient and comfortable as possible.
Team coaching = action! Its difference is that it first helps the whole team decide what to do and how to do it. Then start acting together, gaining joint experience and development!
In terms of time, team coaching takes more time: 4-6 months.
Deal with cause, not effect: what you can achieve with team coaching.
Team coaching affects both deeper processes in the team and external ones. The main thing is that the coaching approach allows you to identify the causes of problems in order to effectively solve them.
What can be achieved by using team coaching?
- Each team member begins to realize his role in the process and think about a common goal
- All team members act together and in concert
- Improving collaboration skills, everyone understands each other and supports
- Everyone bears his own responsibility for the process, there is no “transfer of arrows” to others
- Employees in the team will perceive success as a common goal, and a common goal as their own;
- The atmosphere in the team will become comfortable, there will be no omissions, misunderstandings and, accordingly, conflicts;
- All tasks will be correctly distributed between employees, so that there is no such thing that one pulls a cart, while others drive it;
- The team will independently solve most of the issues without management interventions – they will understand how to effectively establish a workflow.
As a result, a powerful tool will appear, such a goal engine – a strong and cohesive team.
In fact, a strategy session is an idea of a mechanism, and team coaching is a means to get all the gears spinning on their own. These are two different services, so a strategic session cannot be an indicator of whether there will be an effect from team coaching.
Make no mistake and try new approaches in your work!
If you have any questions or want to know how to apply coaching in your company, please contact us by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org