Business awaits the full operation of the Ministry of Environmental Protection
More than two months have passed since the Government’s decision to establish the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine, thus delimiting the state’s powers in the field of energy and environmental protection.
Businesses understand the importance of optimizing the system of central executive bodies but still emphasize on the necessity of the smooth operation of ministries and departments, on which the operational activities of many companies depend. Thus, the Ministry of Environmental Protection provides many administrative services for the business and ensures the issuance of licenses and permits. Therefore, it is important for the business that the Ministry of Environmental Protection is reorganized most transparently and efficiently.
We were pleased to know that the preparatory work for the full launch of the Ministry is reaching its final stage. According to the Government portal, the Ministry already has its Regulations, approved staff structure, staff list, and estimates, as well as more than 30% of the staff. We hope that all technical and administrative issues of the Ministry of Environment will be resolved before the resumption of business activity in the fall.
In this regard, the European Business Association urges the Government to ensure promptly the followings :
- Completing the formation of the vertical of the Ministry of Environmental Protection, defining clear areas of responsibility of deputy ministers, appointing directors of departments;
- Unlocking permitting and licensing procedures;
- Launching a system of state tests and state registration of pesticides and agrochemicals;
- Issuing conclusions on EIA under the new legislation;
- Approving all bylaws to launch the MRV system (measurement, reporting, and verification) of greenhouse gas emissions;
- Preparing the Second National Determined Contribution of Ukraine to the Paris Agreement (NDC);
- Developing the Ukraine-EU Roadmap for participation in the European Green Course.
We thank the Ministry of Environmental Protection for its openness to dialogue with business and look forward to deepening cooperation in areas within the competence of the authority. The Association is ready to provide its expertise in developing policies and decisions that will directly affect the business.