AC Crowe Ukraine: how to remain socially responsible professionals in today’s world?
In 2020, Ukraine ranked 60th in the ranking of countries on the environmental efficiency index with a rate of 49.5. The goal of rising higher in this ranking should be supported at the state level and especially by Ukrainian business. That is why, since April 22, 2019, AC Crowe Ukraine has introduced the concept of sustainable development for World Earth Day – “Hello, #eco”. Within two years, the Company has achieved significant success in implementing the concept, taking as a vector for the development of social responsibility – 17 UN global goals.
Talking about a “green office” it is possible to mistakenly think of a room that resembles a jungle or a flower garden, but it’s easier. “Green Office” is a concept that focuses on organizational actions and behavioral habits of the team. It consists of the development and implementation of motivational, technical and educational measures aimed at attracting the Company’s employees to take care of office resources, as well as to increase the level and reputation of corporate culture.
The main purpose of the concept of sustainable development – “Hello, #eco” is to reduce the negative impact of the Company’s activities on the environment, promoting the appropriate use of resources. The concept provides for development in seven areas:
- replacement of plastic with glass;
- replacement of PET utensils;
- replacement of paper with recycled one;
- landscaping of the office;
- waste sorting;
- purchase of corporate products from environmentally friendly raw materials or processed;
- motivational activities for AC Crowe Ukraine employees.
What for “green offices” for Ukrainians?
In modern Ukrainian business, more and more attention is paid to staff, which is the main driving force of any company. The “Green Office” helps to increase the efficiency of the Company’s team. Why is this happening? Because thanks to many scientific studies, it has been found that a person becomes more efficient when working in a comfortable environment. The comfort of being in the workplace involves sufficient oxygen amount, work space and lighting in the room, low noise from equipment and high quality monitors which are used by the employee during the day. An equally important advantage of the concept of “green office” is that it can be used by any organization, in other words, there are no restrictions on the size or budget of the company. The concept of “Hello, #eco” provides only simple rules for the careful daily use of office resources, nature and the environment, which can be followed by each employee.
7 eco-steps AC Crowe Ukraine
1) Replacement of plastic with glass. To implement this activity, the Company has refused to use plastic in any form, whether it is a bottle of water or a flower pot.
2) Replacement of PET utensils. For two years now, employees have been using only glassware or utensils made from cornstarch in the office, which is an affordable environmentally friendly alternative to disposable tableware.
3) Replace the paper with recycled one. Used / shredded paper is always recycled, and for internal circulation AC Crowe Ukraine employees use paper made from secondary materials according to FSC standards.
4) Landscaping of the office. The concept of the green office “Hello, #eco” involves increasing the plants in the workspace in order to increase the amount of oxygen and reduce CO2. The main feature of plants in the office are their pots, which are made purely of ceramics or clay.
5) Waste sorting. For the second year in a row, the Company has been sorting waste in the office by involving employees in this process. Tanks for sorting plastic, glass and organic waste, respectively, are located on the territory of the office. Due to the large number of documents provided by the Company’s professional activities, there are tanks for sorting used and shredded paper on all floors of the office. The office also has a tank for sorting hazardous waste, such as batteries or accumulators. More detailed instructions on placing sorting tanks in the office can be found on the Company’s YouTube page in the video of the permanent rubric “Hello, #eco”.
6) Purchase of corporate products from environmentally friendly or processed raw materials. Each office worker is provided with corporate products and stationery made from recycled materials. The use of such products teaches employees to rational consumption and the use of eco-products in everyday life.
7) Motivational measures for AC Crowe Ukraine employees. One of the main goals of the concept of sustainable development “Hello, #eco” is to actively involve employees in landscaping the office, staff participation in the Company’s activities and increase the level of environmental knowledge through educational videos and articles that reveal environmental problems and solutions. These activities have a great impact on the development of corporate culture, demonstrating that corporate culture is not just about dress code and customer service rules. Much attention is paid to improving the environmental education of employees, for which a series of educational videos “Hello, #eco” was shot. In this column, the green officer of AC Crowe Ukraine, Kateryna Russu, talks about the rational use of resources and teaches environmental ethics. All issues of the program can be viewed in the eco-playlist on the Company’s YouTube page.
By developing the concept of “Hello, #eco” AC Crowe Ukraine brings its team to a new level of social responsibility, which leads to changes in the mentality of employees, which awakens in them the desire to participate in environmental issues. All motivational activities for AC Crowe Ukraine employees are aimed at forming unity in the team and improving relations between colleagues.
AC Crowe Ukraine is a member of the international audit network Crowe Global, the 9th largest global audit network in the world, which consists of 250 independent audit and consulting firms in 146 countries and has 765 offices. The company is a representative of a network with an impeccable reputation, which demonstrates the highest standards of quality of work and the provision of highly professional services.