EBA supports the reform of taxi services in Ukraine
The European Business Association appealed to the Head of the VRU Committee on transport and infrastructure with a letter of support for the draft law, which proposes new legislative regulation of the taxi market. EBA experts asked the Committee to consider the draft law after its registration and recommend adopting it as a basis and in general.
The adoption of a new model for regulating the taxi market is a big step towards the introduction of European standards in the Ukrainians’ lives. We hope that the new law on the taxi will help bring the transportation market out of the shadow, get rid of outdated regulations and introduce clear and equal “rules of the game” instead. Apparently, this is the first such a comprehensive and professional approach to the reform of the taxi market that it is undoubtedly a positive signal.
The draft law offers the following innovations:
- The abolition of the need to obtain licenses for the inland transportation of passengers by taxi, the inland transportation of passengers by cars to order. Instead, there will be introduced the duty to submit to the State Transport Security Service of Ukraine a message about the beginning of the provision of inland transportation services. (Now, the licenses are quite bureaucratic in obtaining and their cost is equal to the size of one living wage, valid on the day the decision to issue the license was made, however, without its presence, significant fines of hundreds of thousands of UAH are imposed on the business);
- The introduction of the category “automobile individual carrier”, acting based on a permit giving the right to carry out inland transportation of passengers without registering an individual entrepreneur;
- Providing the opportunity to conclude a contract for carriage in a car in electronic form;
- Granting to the State Transport Security Service of Ukraine powers to carry out inspections of compliance with the law by means of a control acquisition of services;
- The State Service of Ukraine on Transport Safety will be provided with the function of the State Register of Road Carriers.
Given the thoroughness of the above provisions and the importance of their adoption in order to increase the transparency of operations by automobile passenger carriers, we expect effective cooperation and hope that the draft law will be adopted this autumn.