The Conference “Ukraine: Great Expectations”
5 December 2019, Chatham House | 10 St James’s Square | London | SW1Y 4LE
Great Expectations, Charles Dickens’s penultimate completed work, concerns the development of a young man who faces arduous trials before eventually overcoming adversity. Ukraine’s progress often seems just as tortured as that of Dickens’s enigmatic protagonist in the novel.
President Zelenskyy and his team are embarking on an ambitious agenda to break away from the past – with renewed zeal in the fight against corruption, opening the land market and privatizing state-owned assets. However, Ukraine’s struggle for reform remains an immense challenge.
What do Volodymyr Zelenskyy and his team stand for? Will they realistically be able to deliver? What reform opportunities will emerge with a new generation in power? What are the risks to economic growth? And how does the current constellation of geopolitical forces affect Ukraine?
- David Arakhamia, Head of Servant of the People Fraction, Parliament of Ukraine; Secretary, National Investment Council
- Olga Ayvazovska, Civil Network OPORA
- Robert Brinkley CMG, Chairman, Ukraine Forum
- Alina Frolova, Deputy Minister of Defence, Ukraine
- Martin Harris, Director for Eastern Europe and Central Asia, FCO
- Hennadiy Maksak, Head of the Board, Foreign Policy Council ‘Ukrainian Prism’
- Katarina Mathernova, Deputy Director General, European Neighbourhood Policy and Enlargement Negotiations, European Commission
- Tymofiy Mylovanov, Minister for Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture
- Alain Pilloux, Vice President, Banking, EBRD
- Hanna Shelest, Member of the Board, Foreign Policy Council ‘Ukrainian Prism’
- James Sherr, Associate Fellow, Russia and Eurasia Programme, Chatham House; Senior Fellow, International Centre for Defence and Security
- Svyatoslav Vakarchuk, MP, Leader, Holos Party
- Andriy Yermak, Aide to the President of Ukraine
- Volodymyr Yermolenko, Director of European Projects, Internews Ukraine
For enquiries relating to the conference agenda or sponsorship please contact Orysia Lutsevych at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For registration, media accreditation and other general enquiries, please email Anna Morgan at email@example.com.
Event contact: Anna Morgan Administrator, Ukraine Forum +44 (0)20 7389 3274 Email